[cvsnt] Re: Possible bug with mergepoints

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Feb 19 15:22:42 GMT 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:04:36 -0200, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> So it looks indeed that if a file is added on a branch and committed,
>> then the sandbox is updated to HEAD and then a update -j branch is
>> done followed later by a regular update, then the mergepoint data for
>> the file added on branch disappears and is not available when the
>> final commit is done.
>> But if the same sequence of edits updates and merge followed by update
>> is done on a file that was added and then merged and committed
>> directly then the initial mergepoint is preserved.
>

>Is there a reason for the second update? Of course some files could have
>been committed to on HEAD while you are doing the merging in your sandbox.
>But you see them when you do the commit, and can update them individually
>then.

Normally there would be no reason for the second update, but the issue
here is that it was discovered that if a file is *added* on the branch
and then an update with merge on HEAD is done the file appears as it
should. In this case it is not even in need of any conflict correction
of course. So a second update should not touch it at all, but it does.
It erases the mergepoint data.
This does *not* happen for a file that has lived on the branch and
been merged to HEAD and later edited on branch. In this case the
mergepoint is preserved for multiple updates.

I would never have seen this myself since I usually do a cvs update
-j, then correct any conflicts and finally commit the result before
doing anything else. And it will only happen for files added on the
branch...
Committing is also OK, the issue here is that since the mergepoint is
lost then no client like WinCvs or ViewCvs can display the merge
arrow.

Not a big deal but if possible should be removed before the release.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)