[cvsnt] performence problem

Stéphane Nicoll Stephane.Nicoll at bsb.com
Tue Feb 22 14:44:45 GMT 2005

From: "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowther at melandra.com>

> Presumably configured as a single array?  There aren't enough drives to make multiple RAID5 arrays...

Indeed.

> This will make the situation worse, not better, if the drives are configured as a single array.

Yup. We have two RAID controllers on this machine. I just requested the system guys to install two new disks, RAID 0+1. We will put the CVSNT temp directory over there and see if it helps. I will let you know.

> However, it does give us an opportunity for a little more monitoring - Stéphane, if you monitor logical disk activity rather than physical disk activity, > which partition is getting most of the traffic?  This may help us to determine whether it's the repository or the temp space that's the bottleneck.

I can't! I checked this performence tool, I have only a physical disk entry and C: and D: are grouped together, since it's the same array I guess.

> Stéphane, what's the pattern of CVS use at your organisation?

Around 50 developers. 5-10 updates of the repository per day per developer. Around 3 commits per day per developer I would say. One cruise control, running every 24h. One Jira instance retrieving CVS logs every hours.

Regards,
Stéphane