[cvsnt] performence problem

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Feb 23 14:29:12 GMT 2005

Stéphane Nicoll wrote:

> 1/ Checkout of the entire repository on the server itself using a CVSROOT like that :pserver:sni at localhost:/ourRepo

Hmm, sorry, I suggested you try a checkout on the local box as a
performance check (to eliminate the NIC), but I didn't think you'd try
to check out the whole repository. :-(

I'd like to revise that suggestion as follows:

1) Check out the same sort of working copy that a typical user might
check out (normally something below the repository root); if your users
/normally/ check out the entire repository, that could certainly explain
some of the load issues.

2) Try using sspi instead of pserver (no real reason except that I would
think native NT authentication would be faster, since the auth token
will be cached).

The other things to think about:

a) Is the server part of an NT domain or an Active Directory Tree?  If
so, try logging in as a local user (not domain) and see if that makes
any difference.  Also, hardcode the domain controller information on the
server (using LMHOSTS) to eliminate any broadcast issues (even if you
are using localhost, the network can be used for authentication).  If
you have the opportunity, since you are using pserver, disconnect the
server completely from the network and see if that makes any difference.

b) Have you scanned the server for viruses/worms/spyware?  I know you
had McAfee installed, but that doesn't guarantee that the machine is
clean.  While you are at it, make sure that the machine is up to date on
all M$loth patches.

c) Was the performance always this bad or has it gotten worse (or better
yet for diagnostic purposes, changed a lot recently)?  Examine the
machine to see what was installed recently.

d) Consider going to a Linux server (also running CVSNT) at least as a
test.  As I said before, NTFS has some odd scaling issues at times,
though your configuration of lots of directories containing few files
doesn't fit the normal profile.

HTH

John