[cvsnt] Re: An unexpected error occurred during logon

Adrian Herscu bmf1972 at axentra.net
Mon Jan 3 10:41:19 GMT 2005

Glen Starrett wrote:

> Adrian Herscu wrote:
>
>> Glen,
>>
>> I swear that I did not try to sabotage the system by myself! I am
>> trying to find something that could possibly affect CVSNT. From the
>> last time I used CVSNT (and it worked fine), I installed few patches
>> for Win2K and added a new local user account - that's all! I even
>> think that I can discover which patch numbers where installed.
>>
>>  From the documentation I understand that the CreateToken privilege is
>> required for *non-system* accounts (that is because the system account
>> has this privilege). But I cannot explain why I could not see that
>> privilege in the process explorer.
>>
>> I tried to give the SeCreateTokenPrivilege to the SYSTEM account and
>> even to Everybody - did not work and did not show up in process
>> explorer either.
>

> It was just a guess -- Hopefully someone else has other ideas.  Try
> checking permission for the users and make sure you have permission for
> the CVS Temp directory and the repository plus at least read on the
> directories above (sounds like you already did, not sure what else could
> cause that).

The users have local access to CVSNT directories (repo & temp).
The problem is certainly *not* with directory/file permissions.
The problem is with the logon process - the CVSNT tries to
receive a SID from some mysterious reason (Event ID 537) it
fails. Most likely is that some Microsoft patch changed the
behavior of some system component(s).

(I am running CVSNT on a Win2K Advanced Server SP4 with the
latest patches)