[cvsnt] Re: cvs update problem

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Mon Jan 3 21:28:49 GMT 2005

Hakan Keklik wrote:

> In my CVSROOT\loginfo file I call a windows batch file that does below
> tasks;

Don't run sandbox updates from loginfo; use postcommit instead, else you
can have problems with repository files still being locked (it's OK to
run the CVSMailer from loginfo, though).  This is probably what is
causing problems with the repository-local sandbox not being updated.

> 1- run CVSMailer
> 2- call another batch file to update local sandbox(on cvs machine). Second
> batch file updates the local sandbox like this
> 	cvs.exe -d :local:%CVSROOT% update -d
> 3- Then the files inside the local repository are copied to the app server
> with xcopy.

See the two methods discussed here:

	http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/PostCommit

to keep a working copy in sync with the repository.  The second one will
work with remote drive maps (apparently, I've never tested it as the
first method has always worked for me).  I much prefer to have the app
server/devel server be located on the same machine as the CVSNT
repository, so that I only have a single sandbox to keep updated.  My
production machine is exclusively managed with a manual 'cvs up' instead
of any automated updates.

You should probably check out xxcopy (shareware) or robocopy (m$loth dev
tool) which will be much more efficient than xcopy to mirror the sandbox
to the app server (both copy only the changed files in a much more
efficient manner than xcopy).

HTH

John