[cvsnt] Re: how to connect to a cvs server behind a network via internet

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jan 5 12:01:57 GMT 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 03:22:59 -0800 (PST), Xiao <xsi_m at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I got the following setup: a cvs server (pc1), main
>network server (pc2) and a pc on the internet(pc3).
>
>pc3 can only connect directly to pc2 never to pc1, but
>pc2 can ofcourse connect to pc1. So how can I setup
>pc3 using wincvs to connect to the cvs repository on
>pc1?

Set up a port forwarding rule on pc2, which forwards port 2401 to pc1
on the internal network.
Then on pc3 you add an entry in the HOSTS file as follows:
<IP address of pc2>  <name of pc1>
example:
123.111.222.011  cvsserverlocal

Then in pc3 you use the following connection string for CVSNT:
  :sspi:user at cvsserverlocal:/Repository
(where you replace the names appropriately)

Now you must (ONCE ONLY) execute the cvs login command and give the
password for the user you have specified.

What happens here is that pc2 receives the call from pc3 on port 2401
and forwards it to pc1, which processes it in the same way as if the
call had been made locally on the internal network. The reply goes to
pc2 which forwards it over the Internet to pc3.

Note that you must use the user at server type syntax because the Windows
authentication does not work automatically in this situation.
By setting the HOSTS entry like above you can easily switch pc3 to
work internally by simply changing the IP address to the internal IP
of the CVS server if pc3 is moved to be inside the local network. For
example if it is a laptop that travels.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)