[cvsnt] "Floating" Tags?

Merrill Cornish merrill.cornish at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 8 02:34:16 GMT 2005

All source control programs I'm familiar with have the ability to attach a symbolic tag is a _specific_ revision of a specific file.  Some of them also have the ability to attach a floating tag to a file.

This tag automatically "floats" to the current HEAD revision as new revisions are added without the user having to manually move the tag to the HEAD revision after a commit.  Floating  tags have the effect of grouping files together under a single symbolic name.

For example, of all the test scripts we have in CVS, we are going to have to send a subset of them to another office on the other side of the world.  I would like to designate the scripts we plan to send with a floating tag.  When the time comes, we extact using that floating tag so the other office gets the then current HEAD revision of all the designated files.  We would probably use an ordinary tag to record for us exactly which revisions of the designated files were sent.

>From what I can see neither Linux CVS nor CVSNT have this feature, at least under that name.

If there a way in CVS to do the equivalent of a floating tag?

Merrill