[cvsnt] merge, create branche and update... bug

sabdev sabdev_N0_5PAM_ at ibelgique.com
Fri Jan 14 09:12:01 GMT 2005

I think I found quite a dangerous bug.

My config is :

Client : WinCVS 1.3b22 with CVSNT 2.51d
Server : tested against CVSNT 2.51d, 2.58d and 2.0.62.1817
protocols : pserver

Here is what I did :

I merge a branche in the main trunk but donot commit the result of merge
I then decide to create a new branch (br_newdev)
I update the sandbox in this newly created branch (br_newdev) and then I
want to commi the result of merge in this branch.
And this is where the bug occurs :
  The modified resulting file of the merge do not take the sticky tag
br_newdev, so if I commit them, they will be commited in the trunk.
  On the other hand, file that were modified locally but not resulting
from a merge take the sticky tag.
  Moreover, the file added as the result of the merge also take the
sticky tag.
  So only resulting modified files do not react as expected.

  I know this is not the usual way of doing thing (merging then creating
a new branch for commiting in  the branch), but as the output window
does not signal any problems, this is likely to cause errors.  (Using
wincvs, it is possible to see it when looking in the tag column)
  This actually happened to one of our developper, so his code was
splitted between the branch and the trunk and we did see that only a
week of work after it happened, making quite a mess in the repository !
  So now we are extra carefull when dealing with this kind of situation.

Sebastien Abras