[cvsnt] What does release do differently from delete?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sat Jan 15 16:29:25 GMT 2005

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> Doesn't the "cvs release" command allow you to have cvs delete all files
> under cvs control, leaving all other files alone? This is useful to make
> sure you have nothing there that you might want to keep, and nothing you
> could easily do with any other tool.

It does that by default (you need to do release -f to stop it).  If I'm
not sure whether I want to keep things I just zip up the entire sandbox
and store it (after deleting debug&release directories) rather than use
release.

> What about cvs edits? Wouldn't "cvs release" release them? If it doesn't,
> shouldn't it?

I think it does... that said a lot of people don't use edits (I don't
for example) so it wouldn't be an issue.