[cvsnt] Re: Using modules to define "virtual modules"...

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Jan 26 01:30:02 GMT 2005

Oliver Giesen wrote:
> SomeLib5 -d SomeLib/Src External/SomeLib/D5/Src
> SomeLib7 -d SomeLib/Src External/SomeLib/D7/Src
>
> This is not possible with modules2 AFAICT or at least I wouldn't expect
> it to produce sensible results.

This would work fine with modules2

[Somelib5]
SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D5/Src

[SomeLib7]
SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D7/Src

There's no conflict at all there..

Modules2's advantage is it is completely transparent to the client...
you can safely treat the directories within it as if they actually
exist, instead of having to a different behavour from checkout and
update as you do with modules.

All Modules actually all map to the same thing - there is no effective
difference between an alias module with -d and an ampersand module, or
even a 'classic' module, or even modules2 (unless you want multiple
modules in the root directory, which won't work with a physical mapping
for obvious reasons).  With few exceptions you can express any of them
in terms of each other.