[cvsnt] Re: CVSMailer with CVSNT 2.0.62.1859

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jan 26 21:05:11 GMT 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:35:39 +0000, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I will have to look up that error, should not be there.
>> Are you sure that the user is in both the users and loginfousers
>> files?
>>
>Pretty sure... although I may have used the wrong format (only very
>quickly read the docs to get it running).
>
>users:
>
>tmh:"Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>"
>TUCKER\tmh:"Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>"
>
>loginfousers:
>
>tmh
>TUCKER\tmh

OK,
I have now tested with my dev version of CVSMailer and what seems to
be happening is this:

If the loginfo line specifies the user to receive email using the -r
option then CVSNT seems to split the -r argument into separate parts
if it contains a backslash:
-rDOMINO\bob results in two arguments:
Parameter 4: -rDOMINO
Parameter 5: ob

-rDOMINO\\bob results in two arguments:
Parameter 4: -rDOMINO
Parameter 5: bob

My interpretation is that if CVSNT finds a single \ it completely
skips the following character (bob is changed to ob)
But if it finds a double \\ then the first backslash makes the second
disappear, thus keeping the next one.

In both cases CVSNT splits the single argument into two consecutive
separate ones.

Since CVSMailer is quite conservative on the arguments (they are
handled mostly by counting from the start) there is a
misinterpretation of the "spaced out" username as the module name and
it all breaks of course.

And it is not possible to use enclosing double quotes in order to
package the -r argument as a single one, the \ breaks the list of
arguments into several different ones.

I have seen that the parsing of the users and/or loginfousers file is
incorrect when there are \ in the username or so it seems from the
logs. In my case it found user DOMINO in both the -r argument and in
the loginfousers or users file...
I have to dig into that some more, that is definitely not correct
behaviour.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)