[cvsnt] mergepoint and removed files

boga boga at mac.com
Thu Jan 27 17:23:14 GMT 2005

We have issues of merging a removal of a file to another branch.

Example:
1.1--------1.1.2.1 (mergepoint: 1.2)   Branch -TestBranch

1.2

(1.3) (dead)
Branch – HEAD

If I merge the HEAD to the Test branch I get the following message:
“file A.txt has been modified, but has been removed in revision HEAD”

I think this situation is not conflict as the 1.1.2.1 version was not
modified since the merge of 1.2 into it.
We apply [diff 1.1.2.1 => 1.1.2.1] and [diff 1.2 => (1.3)] to 1.1.2.1
since the first diff is no-op the second is remove I’d expect a remove
as a result.

A conflicting case would be the following:
1.1--------1.1.2.1 (mergepoint: 1.2) ------1.1.2.2   Branch -TestBranch

1.2

(1.3) (dead)

We apply [diff 1.1.2.1 => 1.1.2.2] and [diff 1.2 => (1.3)] to 1.1.2.1
since a content difff and a remove are in conflict we should get a
conflicting warning.

I know this has been already discussed on this list, with non positive
reply. But we have a lot of troubles because of non removed files.
At least an option to the update command would be very usefull for us.
[something like: -a “Do not conflict on removal of files not modified
since last mergepoint” ]

Regards,
Miklos