[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT Code Approval and branch permissions

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jan 28 04:32:57 GMT 2005

Trautvetter, Eric wrote:
> 1.         Is there any sort of code approval process in cvsnt?  I need
> to be able to approve code changes before a developer can add there code
> to the repository.    If a developer wants to commit a code fix, I need
> to be able to notify the repository owner and have him/her either
> approve the change or decline the change before adding the code changes
> to the repository.

Have them commit into a development branch, and then do periodic merges
into a stable branches from it, so you end up with 3 branches:

unstable (daily commits)
testing (for testers to checkout after the fixes have been verified)
release (tested, ready to go)

Then you just tag point releases on each release.

That's only one way to do it...  there are about a dozen more.

With bug IDs you can pull individual changes from unstable->testing,
although it
gets messy if you do it too far out of order.

> 2.                   Is there any way to place permissions on a certain
> branch in the repository?  We have multiple branches and I would like to
> allow certain access to certain branches.

Use chacl to assign permissions to the branch at the root of the module.