[cvsnt] Re: mergepoint and removed files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jan 28 04:40:41 GMT 2005

boga wrote:
> If I merge the HEAD to the Test branch I get the following message:
> “file A.txt has been modified, but has been removed in revision HEAD”

What has happened is the branch you are merging from is modified, and
the branch you are merging to is removed.  This is a conflict that must
be resolved - there is no other reasonable action.  The file is
(logically) empty, and no merge can work.

> I know this has been already discussed on this list, with non positive
> reply. But we have a lot of troubles because of non removed files.

If you're getting a lot of this then review your working processes -
people should *not* be routinely working on files that have been removed
elsewhere.