[cvsnt] Re: Taginfo error in 2.0.62.1861

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jan 28 16:20:33 GMT 2005

Oliver Giesen wrote:
> Bo Berglund wrote:
>

>>I'll publish the Inno installer for 1862 now.
>

> I installed that and now my desktop firewall tells me that cvslock.exe
> is attempting to send UDP packets to 224.0.0.251 (IANA Local Network
> Control Block) at regular intervals.
> Anyone knows what that is about?

Zeroconf.  The latest builds implement DNS service discovery.. there are
no working clients at the moment though (although if you do 'mDNSBrowse
_cvspserver._tcp.' from a Linux box it'll give you useful information).

224.0.0.x are never forwarded by routers (part of the multicast spec) so
a firewall shouldn't be bothered by them.  You'll probably also find the
packet has a TTL of 1 (although I haven't checked).