[cvsnt] ViewCvs incompatibility with 2.0.62.1863

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jan 28 23:48:03 GMT 2005

Tony,
I just updated a semi-test cvs server I have (where I keep the
CVSMailer and ViewCvs installer sources) to 2.0.62.1863.
After checking stuff a bit I also tried the ViewCvs installation that
is active on this server.
It seems like it is OK to browse modules thta have been committed when
the server was still 2.0.38 (the level before this).
But now I have trouble opening a module folder that i have committed
the cvsnt binaries into using build 1863 as the server.
(Yes, I am versioning the Inno builds I do for cvsnt...)
This is the ViewCvs output I get in this case:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Programs\ViewCvs\lib\viewcvs.py", line 3279, in main
    request.run_viewcvs()
  File "C:\Programs\ViewCvs\lib\viewcvs.py", line 333, in run_viewcvs
    self.view_func(self)
  File "C:\Programs\ViewCvs\lib\viewcvs.py", line 1388, in
view_directory
    request.repos.dirlogs(request.path_parts, file_data, options)
  File "C:\Programs\ViewCvs\lib\vclib\bincvs\__init__.py", line 182,
in dirlogs
    alltags = _get_logs(self, dirpath, entries, tag, subdirs)
  File "C:\Programs\ViewCvs\lib\vclib\bincvs\__init__.py", line 839,
in _get_logs
    raise vclib.Error('Rlog output ended early. Expected RCS file
"%s"'
Error: Rlog output ended early. Expected RCS file
"C:\cvsrepo\pc\CVSNT\cvsbin\co.exe,v"

It looks like when ViewCvs wants to expand the contents of the folder
I am opening it breaks. The ViewCvs I have is the latest as of Dec
2004 and uses the cvsnt cvs binary as the rcs parser.
Note that I can go one level down by typing in the address in FireFox
like this:
http://antares/ViewCvs/viewcvs.cgi/pc/CVSNT/cvsbin/Keep/
Then it properly displays the SetAcl.exe that is stored there.
The difference is that I just made a commit of the binaries for cvsnt
build 1863 and they go to the cvsbin folder, so now the RCS files have
been modified by cvs 2.0.62.1863 and the rcs parser gives up...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)