[cvsnt] Warning: Do not update cvsnt to build 1863 on a live server!!!

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Jan 29 12:56:21 GMT 2005

I have found a *serious* problem with the latest cvsnt build. I don't
know from which version this happened but it works like this:

1) You are running an older cvsnt server (I used 2.0.38)
2) You have binary files in your modules
3) You insteall 2.0.62.1863
4) You modify and commit a binary file

Now the binary file in the repository is damaged! If you try to use
the graph view in WinCvs you will see an error message.
If you cvs log the file you will see an error message
If you want to retrieve a revision of the file you get the error
message again.

In short, for all practical purposes this file is DEAD!!!

But, as far as I can see there are no problems with text files and
also if the binary file is added to the repository when the server is
already 2.0.62.1863 then it looks like there are no problems (has to
be checked more of course).

So for those of you wanting to preserve your code I recommend against
installing build 1863 on anything but a test server.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)