[cvsnt] Re: CVS +Tortoise working for me on my LAN. Now I want to access remotely

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Jul 7 21:25:37 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:
>>FYI, Using a DDNS service will automatically keep that name to IP
>>mapping correct for you and be more robust.  HOSTS file certainly works,
>>but requires you change it when your IP changes.
>

> But if the server is a non-official IP that may change over time then
> any official DNS server will not have it and the HOSTS file approach
> is the way to go. I have my home ADSL line at a fixed address because
[snip]

You misunderstood me.  The DDNS service is *dynamic* DNS, meant for
these DSL type lines.  There's an agent that runs on your machine that
sends updates to the DDNS service (e.g. no-ip.com or dyndns.org, there
are others) to let it know what the address is.  My Linksys router has a
DDNS agent built into it, but I've never tried to use that (it doesn't
support no-ip).

For example, I have a myhost.no-ip.org DNS name at No-IP that forwards
to my cable modem's IP.  The agent runs on a machine behind my NAT
router and the DDNS service automatically picks up the correct public IP
address.

I use no-ip myself on the free level.  Here's more information on their
free service:
http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html

Regards,

--