[cvsnt] Re: cvs init and global server settings

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Fri Jul 8 10:15:40 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> David Somers wrote:
>> Um... I'm doing cvs init as "root", so it shouldn't have any problems
>> with permissions to get at those files.
>
> It's possible to have write failures even as root.. depends on how
> things are setup.  The code only fails if it can't write (a trace will
> show you what it couldn't write to).

Oops... I forgot that trace is my friend.

[snip]
11:12:20:   -> checkout -> #
11:12:20:   -> chmod(.#14481,100444)
11:12:20:   -> unlink_file(.#notify_email)
11:12:20:   -> unlink_file(.#14481)
11:12:20:   -> Couldn't create config file no/PServer

cvs init: Unable to register repository.
cvs init: Your login does not have sufficient permissions to modify the
cvs init: global server settings.
cvs init: Repository /var/lib/cvsnt/eeks initialised
11:12:20:   -> run postcommand trigger
11:12:20:   -> run_trigger()
11:12:20:   -> Call pre-loaded 'default_trigger'
11:12:20:   -> postcommand_proc()
[snip]

no/PServer is just a bit wrong.

Greetings from Luxembourg