[cvsnt] Re: cvs info cvswrappers (SNAFU)

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sun Jul 10 16:39:18 BST 2005

David Somers wrote:
> Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
>>>cvswrappers, or local+server cvswrappers... if the latter, then wouldn't
>>>it make more sense for cvs info -c cvswrappers to return a union of
>>>local+server (since that is what the client acts on).
>>
>>The output from cvs info is exactly what is used, so it's using
>>local+server if there's a server available (eg. you're in a sandbox)
>>when you execute the command, and just local if you're not.
>

> So, just to clairfy:
>
> cvs info -c cvswrappers
> = when outside a sandbox, show client wrappers
> = when in a sandbox,      show client+server wrappers
>
> cvs info -s cvswrappes
> = show just server wrappers

It's a bit more complex than that :)

info -c: show cvswrappers as seen by the client
info -s: show cvswrappers as seen by the server

These will often be the same... it's just the mechanism used to get the
lists is different (info -s isn't terribly useful but can be used to
show discrepancies if there's a problen).

Early on in the client/server negotiation the client extracts the list
of cvswrappers from the server, which is added to its list.

The client then sends the list, minus the entries that were sent from
the server earlier, back to the list, which adds that to its list.

So the client sees client+server, and the server sees server+client (the
distinction isn't so important as most processing is done server-side).

On top of that, there's also temporary entries from the local
.cvswrappers files.  These are added per-directory by the client before
it's sent to the server.  cvs info doesn't show these.

> But.. within my sandbox, cvs info -c cvswrappers is only showing client-side
> wrappers, and not client+server as expected.

 From your original dump it looks like you're actually getting both (eg.
*.zip is there twice) but they're the same - your cvswrappers isn't what
you think it is.