[cvsnt] checkcvswrappers (revision 1.5)

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Tue Jul 12 09:02:12 BST 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 06:51, Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> At Monday 11/7/2005 13:46, David Somers wrote:
> >I have now released checkcvswrappers (revision 1.5)
> >
> >It is for the GNU/Linux platform only, but if enough people ask me nicely
> > I will port to Windows (its fairly trivial to do so).
>
> I tried to port it to Windows but failed to get the appropiate libraries to
> compile successfully.

You had a problem with argv? It should work on Windows... although I think you
need to manaully create a config.h for it to be happy.

> So I decided to port your program to Python (which appears to me, being
> much better suited than "raw" C code for this task...)

I'm happier using C than Python.

> and then, honoring
> Python's "batteries included" philosophy, I had no need for any external
> library (and that makes me happy :) )

Um, don't you mean "batteries and the kitchen sink included" ;-)

> In the process I noticed the following:
> - in CrunchFile, you forgot to initialize the `offset` variable

Possibly... automatic variables should really be initialized to 0 by the
compiler, but its a bit hard to determine whether gcc does this or not...
erring on the side of caution, I've now explicitly initilized this variable.

[OT]
Normally I'd run code against (Gimpel's )lint to pick up this type of thing,
but its only on my Windows box at the moment (and I don't fancy spending $1K
for the unix version).

Yes, I know on Linux there is also Split (http://www.splint.org) to do static
analysis of C source, but its development seems to have stalled... plus it
uses a different way of marking up code than that required by Gimpel's lint,
so you end up having to do a lot of duplicate work... (one solution would be
to use a different markup and then use a processor to convert that into forms
recognized by both systems).
[/OT]

> - the tests in CrunchFile must be reordered, utf32le_bom is never fired
> because it's masked by utf16le_bom which comes first.

You see, that's what happens when you write code and the caffeione level is
too low. Thanks for spotting it.

Greetings from Luxembourg,

--
David Somers