[cvsnt] cvslock application error

Murphy, John John.Murphy at dowjones.com
Tue Jul 12 20:02:08 BST 2005

I recently upgraded to cvsnt 2.5.01.1927.  Since the upgrade I am having
a frequent problem in which the cvslock service appears to hang. At the
same time it appears like many instances of the cvs.exe process get
kicked off but they also appear hung. (normally, they appear, do their
work, and then terminate).  In other word, the numbers of cvs processes
on the server increase rapidly.  When this happens cvs clients are not
able to access the repository.  I am running Windows 2003 Standard
Edition on a dual 2.8GHz box with 1GB for RAM.  Here is the error in the
event log.

Faulting application cvslock.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module
unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

I also see some of these errors in the event log but note that these
were not happening at the same time that cvslock crashed

[ffffffff] The specified network name is no longer available.

The clients using the server are all using the sspi protocol.  Also we
are running on a Windows 2000 Active Directory Domain.

A couple of other things to note.  The repository is quite busy, with
about 40 developers using it, but the bulk of the work the server does
is serving requests that originate from cruise control which we use to
run continuous integration builds.  I upgraded the server this weekend
and this problem has happened 3 times in the last two days.

Have you seen this problem before?  Any ideas about how to rectify this
situation would be greatly appreciated.