[cvsnt] Password not correctly removed

Lieperik marcellennartz2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 05:52:05 BST 2005

I tested this problem on the two following configurations:

Configuration 1
* Windows 2000 client
* CVS server hosted on a remote UNIX server
* Client software: Tortoise 1.8.17

Configuration 2
* Windows 2003 server (using as client)
* CVS server hosted on a remote UNIX server
* Client software: Tortoise 1.8.17

The computer I am using is public accessible by colleagues working on other
project. They should however not be able to login to CVS using my details
and therefore  tried to REMOVE my password. What I do is as follow:

1 - Start CVSNT CVSAGENT.EXE in the C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS folder

2 - Right mouse click the application

3 - Select CLEAR password

4 - No I go to one of the folders which is bonded to the (remote) CVS server
and try to browse i.e. the history of a file.

5 - The application correctly PROMPTS for a PASSWORD (as it should be after
clear password)

6 - If I don't enter a password and press cancel, the system logins
correctly, meaning that clearing the password didn't work correctly.

I traced this error back to the registry. As known, the password is stored
in the regstiry at the following location.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cvsnt\cvspass

when you CLEAR the password using the cvsagent, it does't clear this
registry key and tortoise simple uses the old password again meaning that
the only way to
keep the system secure is to manually go to the registry each time and
remove this registry key. Removing the password using cvsagent only restart
the
password prompt but in fact it ignores it when cancel is pressed and re-uses
the old cached password.

Is there any easy way of removing the password correctly after
* shutting down the PC
* or via another way instead of having to edit the registry each time?

Thanks, Marcel