[cvsnt] cvs chacl, again

Thomas Keller me at thomaskeller.biz
Wed Jul 20 10:37:40 BST 2005

At first, thanks for the your response very much, this cleared a lot things up.
Unfortunately the docs lack on examples/ tutorials in many places.

> Upcoming functionality (Not sure which version it appeared or if
> it is released as recommended yet) will give an adminstrator the ability
> to deny access by setting the default configuration option called
> AclMode in the CVSROOT/config file.
> <snip http://www.cvsnt.org/manual2/html/config.html>
> AclMode=value [...]

I stumbled across this one, too, and set it to "normal". After I removed my
writers file things started to work, e.g. no explicit "no<something>" tags
are needed to give somebody read-only access to some directory.

My collegues have to test this out, one thing which still does not work
is the display of the <message> Text of fileattr.xml. E.g. if I try to add
a file to a directory where I have only read rights, a generic error msg
is displayed:  "User 'tommyd' cannot create /var/cvsroot/misc". I think
this is not a big thing, but it would be nice to get this working, too.

> I haven't tried it yet because I am still using 2.0.58d, now pushing a
> theoretical 220 users ( They don't all use it yet but maybe one day).
> When they do the deficiencies of 2.0.58d with regards to group related
> ACLs will become more prominent.  This AclMode along with fixes to the
> ACL functionality is probably yet another reason for me to upgrade.... soon.

Wow, having 220 developers to manage would probably result in a big
mess without group functionality. We have quite a small project, five
people are working on it, but we like to gather new people for translation
purposes and thats where ACLs are needed.

Tommy.