[cvsnt] Re: "cvs commit -r " problem

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Fri Jul 22 19:28:19 BST 2005

Matt Schuckmann wrote:
> While I agree that there is rarely (possibly never) any reason for a user to
> require a specific revision number I don't agree that revision numbers are
> strictly internal.

They are available as an external data point, but the manipulation of
revision numbers is strictly an internal artifact of the way CVS keeps
track of branches, vendor branches, and changes.  You are free to refer
to $Revision 1.2.4.113$ of a certain file, but the point is that if you
change that revision according to your own Version needs, you may very
well break what CVS does internally.

Does that make more sense?

John