[cvsnt] Merging Files and Diffs?

Richard Kerry Richard.Kerry at bbc.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 15:39:51 BST 2005

Supplementary question about Mergeing.

Is all the mergeing during Update done by CVSNT's internal merge handler
?  Or can it be requested to use an external utility ?

I'm asking this as some of my users have indicated that its handling of
xml files is not always as we would wish.  Some of the xml handling
tools that we are using have a habit of reorganizing the file.  This
doesn't affect the programs using the data but can and does affect cvs's
ability to do a merge properly.  When our tool has moved a block, the
merge may reinstate it in the old place.  This can causes duplication of
a block.

Appreciatively,
Richard.

PS.  Yes, we should also consider changing our tools so they don't move
around the blocks.  That's a different issue.
PPS.  Apologies as usual if my employer's systems add a load of
signature text.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.