[cvsnt] Commitinfo / loginfo / precommand followup questions

Dianne Chen diana_chen23 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 17:09:23 BST 2005

Hi!

I think I am still not understanding how to use the
commitinfo, loginfo, precommand and postcommand
utilities. Can someone more familiar with these tools
offer a few answers (Bo? Tony? ?). I have done a lot
of archive searching to find *any* answers to this
from the past - no good luck. I found many emails
about this topic, but mostly for version 2.5, or
people asking similar questions with not many replies.

We are using cvsnt 2.0.58d - I know there are later
versions out there, we are not able to upgrade yet- on
a RHEL3.0 server.

Goal: Catch files with improper syntax (embedded
spaces, parenthesis, etc.) at "add" time (preferred)
or at very least at commit time and prevent them from
being added to repository.

Someone suggested writing a wrapper around cvs - I
hope there is another way...

Q1: Has anyone done this with 2.0.58d? How? Or is it
known that 2.0.58d is broken or limited as I have
described below?

Q2: What is the "order" that these tools are
"executed"? Is it like this?

precommand
verifymsg
commitinfo
loginfo
post command

Q3: Is this correct for 2.0.58d:

* precommand can ONLY output: repositoryname, action

        (cannot output filenames???? - or how can this
be done)

* commitinfo can ONLY output: repositoryname and
directory
        (cannot output  filenames??? - or how can this
be done)

* loginfo can ONLY output: sVv and a "cat" of the
commit log
      (filenames here!!! but too late to prevent
commit)

* postcommand can ONLY output: repositoryname,
directoryname, and action

If these statements here are wrong, can someone
provide a proper example showing how it could work?

Thank you for all help.

DC