[cvsnt] RE: merge?

David Somers dsomers at trevezel.com
Thu Jun 2 13:01:15 BST 2005

> > cvs commit: Examining prj/wxWidgets/wxPython/wxSWIG/swig_lib/python
> > cvs commit: Examining prj/wxWidgets/wxPython/wxSWIG/swig_lib/tcl
> > cvs commit: Examining prj/wxWidgets/wxPython/wxversion
> > cvs server: nothing known about `-m'
> > cvs server: nothing known about `merge release 260
>

> > Um.... is it me, or is cvsnt getting confused about that comment (-m).
> >
> > Any enlightenment welcome.
> >
> I'd guess there's something odd on your .cvsrc file confusing things.

Nope... no .cvsrc files here, there, or anywhere where else.

Its weird becaue I do the checkout with the two -j's, get no conflicts, then
the commit fails as indicated above... at it always fails with the content
of the -m that I specify on the command line..

Example, if I do

# cvs commit -m "roobarb and custard"

Then I get :

[snip]
cvs commit: Examining prj/wxWidgets/wxPython/wxversion
cvs server: nothing known about `-m'
cvs server: nothing known about `roobarb and custard'
cvs server: nothing known about `--'
cvs server: Examining prj
[snip]

But, and this is where it gets really fun, if I do

# cvs commit -m "roobarb and custard" *

Then it darn well works!!!

So, reading between the lines, and after drinking several cups of coffee,
the only thing I can think of is this: For some reason, cvs commit is
thinking that my -m "blah" is actually a specification for the files to be
committed.

Any ideas as to what's going on/wrong?

And finally:

# cvs --help commit
Usage: cvs commit [DnRlf] [-B bug | -b bug ] [-m msg | -F logfile] files...

Should that files... be [files...] since its an optional.

Greetings from Luxembourg,

David