[cvsnt] CVSNT 2.5.01.1976: Bug when using "cvs checkout" with "fresh" symbolic tags

Werner Mann werner.mann at o2online.de
Fri Jun 3 15:01:05 BST 2005

Hi,

when trying to checkout a file with a symbolic tag to
cvsnt reports sometimes a strange error and fails to check out
the file.

How to reproduce:

// tag a file
 > cvs tag REL1_0 Base.cc

// try to check the file out from repository
 > z:\Programme\cvsnt\cvs.exe -d c:\repo co -r REL1_0 module/Base.cc
cvs.exe checkout: could not read RCS file for Base.cc
cvs.exe [checkout aborted]: no such tag REL1_0

// now do an "update" in the  module where we did the tagging
 > del Base.cc
 > z:\Programme\cvsnt\cvs.exe -d c:\repo up -r REL1_0 module/Base.cc
U Base.cc

// now a checkout again
 > z:\Programme\cvsnt\cvs.exe -d c:\repo co -r REL1_0 module/Base.cc
U module/Base.cc

The difference is that after the "update" the tag is listed in
CVSROOT/val-tags. Obviously cvsnt is not able  to properly locate
symbolic tags in all cases when doing an checkout.

The "original" cvs 1.11 had a similar problem (Bug #211, #186), but it
is fixed in 1.11.20/1.12.12.

I'd like to see a fix for cvsnt too, since I use a script which
sometimes tries to check  out  freshly tagged files.

Werner