[cvsnt] Re: Performance Woes...

Matt Schuckmann matthew_schuckmann at amat.com
Wed Jun 8 21:58:31 BST 2005

Jeremy I'm in sort of the same boat as you, we have to run on win server
2003 and we've got a few binary files that are really slowing things down.
Below is an observation that I made and I posted it to this list a while
back but got no response.

I have noticed that CVSNT can be very slow with large repository binary
files.

I have a 400mb repository file (the ,v file was 400 mb, the checked out file
was about 12mb). CVSNT takes nearly an hour to perform a simple operation on
this file, not checkout something simple like check for the existence of a
tag.

What I noticed is that the entire file appeared to be getting loaded into
memory on the server (the memory usage on the server went up by 400mb, but
very slowly). It appears that there wasn't enough memory so it started
thrashing on the virtual memory and thus the disk. It was just the loading
of the file into memory took such a long time, once it was done sucking up
the memory the actuall operation was very quick.

This was on my test server, a P3 700mhz with only a couple hundred megs of
ram, Win2k and a very recient version of CVSNT.

So far I've just ignored the problem until I absolutely have to deal with it
at which time I don't what I'll do, probably delete some unneeded revisions
(does that work for binary files?) I'm hoping that my production server with
more memory will handle it better.

I have no idea how a vanila version of CVS would perform on this file.

news:d87919$hse$1 at paris.nodomain.org...