[cvsnt] Re: Remove old files from the repository?

BEAUCHAMP, MICHAEL J. MBEAUCHAMP at AMICA.com
Fri Jun 10 13:57:32 BST 2005

I'm thinking that what I might try to do is create a list of tags that
are less than 2 years old. Then, loop through all of the files in a
module, grab all of the revisions of a file, and starting with the
oldest revision look for its tags.  If the revision doesn't have any of
the tags in the list, delete the revision.  In theory, that sounds easy
enough to me.  Of course, I have no idea how to make this happen. Has
anybody already done this?

Michael Beauchamp
IT Developer 1
Corporate Information Systems
Amica Mutual Insurance Company
1-800-992-6422 ext. 23224
mbeauchamp at amica.com

-----Original Message-----
From: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org [mailto:cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org] On Behalf
Of Gerhard Fiedler
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 6:50 AM
To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org cvsnt downloads at march-hare.com @CVSNT on Twitter CVSNT on Facebook
Subject: [cvsnt] Re: Remove old files from the repository?

Glen Starrett wrote:

> BEAUCHAMP, MICHAEL J. wrote:
>> I have a large web app with about 10,000 files (and growing).  For
legal
>> reasons, my company wants to remove files or versions of files
>> (revisions) that are more than 2 years out of date. So far the only
>> thing I've found is the admin -o command and option, but aside from
>> being dangerous, I can't figure out a way to do more than one file at
>> time in WinCVS.
>
> I haven't looked at it, but is the WinCVS method a script?  If it is,
> then you could wrap it with a call for each file in your repository.

Not sure what you mean by "script", but there are two GUI functions in
WinCvs in the graph window: select all non-significant revisions (i.e.
that
don't have a tag) and delete selected revisions.

I don't think either one serves well for this. The "select
non-significant"
function doesn't consider the date. And the "delete selected revisions"
deletes them one by one, which can take quite a bit longer than using
ranges.

I think you'd have to script that for yourself. Maybe there are some
interface functions in Wincvs that help you with parsing the log output.

Gerhard

intended
addressed.
postmaster at amica.com
and the sender of the message.  Thank you.