[cvsnt] BUG: Corrupted binary files

Kevin zzz at zzz.zzz.org
Wed Jun 15 09:54:42 BST 2005

> Just do it on a copy of the repository on your test server, or just on a
> local machine somewhere... take a file that's known to work and try to
> break it.

Tony,

I tried to regenerate the problem on a fresh test repo. I tried out a lot of
merges and branches and removed the HEAD revision. This did not reproduce
the problem.

Afterwards I even tried to regenerate the scenario from the graph of a
problematic file (on the test repo). The was not successful as the file in
question has been around for a few years and has seen *older* CVSNT versions
(the ones that committed mergepoints always, even when there were no changes
made to the file). So again this was all futile.

Please appreciate that we have been using CVSNT for over 2 years now and are
relying heavily on it. Presently we have files that are corrupted. The worse
part is that we cannot correct the situation as committing the *correct*
binaries is not placing a correct version at the tip of the branch. We are
now not sure as to whether we can trust the contents of the repository any
more. Is there anything that can be done about this issue? Being able to fix
the files on the repository is an adequate enough solution. Force committing
the file (-f) does not work either.

May I once again point out that I can submit a problematic RCS file to help
in finding a solution.

--
Kevin Agius

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:d8mf70$3cp$1 at paris.nodomain.org...
> Kevin wrote:
> > 1) I would not like to lose the file's tags, branches, etc. This would
have
> > a very negative impact if we need to extract older revisions. Presently
we
> > have broken branches and these are enough of a headache. We are using
CVSNT