[cvsnt] Web interface

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jun 17 06:37:00 BST 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:34:25 -0400, "Prochazka, Jan"
<Jan.Prochazka at brooks.com> wrote:

>> If the detection of the webserver or CVSNT or Python fails
>> the installer does not continue...
>
>Eeeee, wouldn't be better just to display a loud warning

It does, the first missing requirement is displayed in the message box
preceding the exit.

> but give the
>user an option to continue with the installation nevertheless ? Some
>user may want to install it even if he/she does not have IIS or Apache
>or may have them but they are not detected (Python is not detected or
>whatever).

The purpose of the installer is to do "everything" needed to get
ViewCvs operational. This means that it interacts with the webserver
to put the necessary config items in there so that ViewCvs actually
works. It is very hard to do this when the webserver is missing or
when Python is missing (since part of the install process is to
execute Python scripts). And if CVSNT is missing it has no way to
figure out which repository links to create..

>From time to time "clever" programs that know-the-best-what-I-need drive
>me nuts.

If it drives you nuts you are welcome *not* to use the installer but
do all the tedious stuff manually yourself....

I published this installer since I saw a need for it and I use it
myself in new CVS sever situations so I can set up ViewCvs quickly
(less than a minute typically) after having put the CVSNT server in
place.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)