[cvsnt] Re: cvs admin -s <state>

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Jun 20 11:22:25 BST 2005

David Somers wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Does anybody bother to muck around with the state attribute (usually
> by doing something along the lines of cvs admin -s <state>). Just
> asking as I'm curious as to if/why anybody explicitly uses this.

It can be used to declare revisions "dead" after the fact, i.e. instead
of cvs remove'ing them: Revisions that are declared "dead" will no
longer be checked out. On occasion I utilized this for emulating
renames (copy ,v-file in repository, then mark all revisions in the new
file prior to the rename "dead", finally cvs remove the old file).

Apart from that the state has no meaning to CVS AFAIK. I guess it could
still serve some kind of documentation purpose but I'm not using that.

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org