[cvsnt] BUG: Corrupted binary files

Kevin zzz at zzz.zzz.org
Tue Jun 21 11:21:08 BST 2005

> A decent editor (that doesn't much around with the line endings or
> binary sections) can fix that.
Of course, but first of all I must identify all the files that are corrupted
and the repository contains *thousands* of files.

... so I must automate the process ...

Can you help me by giving me more details on the bug? Here are some
questions:

1. Are only binary files affected?
2. Are only *removed* binary files affected?
3. Is there some documentation about the RCS files, as 'extended' by CVSNT?
4. I noticed the entry "deltatype text;" for binary files. Is this correct
or does it need to be fixed? In which case what should it be?
5. I encountered "kopt    @@;" in some RCS files, is this correct? What does
it mean?

I know that this may sound wacky but when such bugs crop up shouldn't some
tool be available to fix corrupted repositories? I beleive that most CVSNT
users are trusting the product with critical information stored in the
repository. Backups help, but may not solve such issues. In this particular
case I have already restored from a backup and the problem (or a different
one) came up again.

I must stress out that I appreciate the *hard work* and *time* that the
CVSNT developers invest in the project and would like to thank them for all
their efforts. I am only suggesting that possibly there should be more time
allocated to fixing the side-effects of some bugs.

--
Kevin Agius