[cvsnt] Latest updates - cvsnt 2.5.01 build 2013

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Jun 30 11:03:20 BST 2005

David Somers wrote:

> I'm sure somebody out there must be running cvsnt on some weird

Tru64 is pretty nightmarish (due to its extremelly buggy C library, and
inconsistent.. no.. totally random header files).

HPUX took months to get right...

> Yep. It (ZeroConf/Bonjour) seems to be billed as a way to survive without DNS
> and DHCP... to auto-discover your printers, and to do iTunes.

I can't see what it offers over DHCP - I think they're onto a loser there...

> I guess one problem is lack of application support for ZeroConf... all the
> stuff I've seen seems concerned with just enumerating what printers/http/ftp
> hosts are available... which is a bit useless since I can already get all
> that info using SNMP or a quick portscan of my LAN ;-)

It's useful for services to find each other (like cvsnt) but there
aren't that many services that *need* to find each other.

Gnome has support built into its vfs (network://) for finding ftp and
web servers.

> Hence :enum:?

Yes.  It barely counts as a protocol (other than being implemented as
one) but is needed for autodiscovery across the interent.

I'll probably change the 'recommended protocol' to 'default protocol'
and put options to set it... the idea is that a client will eventually
be able to do something like:

cvs -d cvs.cvsnt.org co cvsnt

And not need to know anything about the server itself, because it's all
autodiscovered.

On a LAN it should be possible to just do

cvs -d . co cvsnt

and it'll find the nearest server, connect to its default repository and
do the checkout.  This is great for things like automation...  not to
mention frontends that can reduce their cvsroot dialogs to a big red
'CLICK HERE' button...

>If you run xinetd on your Linux box you can tell it to announce all the
>>services the machine supports,
>
> How the heck do you do that?

Put mdns=yes in the service registration file... I'm told it works on
the latest version (I still run the original inetd so can't check).