[cvsnt] CVS Tag _H_ in ,v file

Simon Kissane skissane at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 05:34:56 GMT 2005

Hi

I had a CVS repository using plain old CVS under Linux.

I moved it to Windows under CVSNT, and started getting weird errors.

Somehow, the following invalid syntax had ended up in my ,v file:

symbols
        ExampleBranch:_H_:1.1.0.6

This "_H_" was causing both Windows CVSNT, and plain old CVS, to die.
Removing the _H_ from the file made it work fine.... Plain old CVS
died a particularly nasty death, with a C assertion error... CVSNT
complained instead "couldn't find version _H_", or something similar
(forget exact wording).

Question:

Does anyone know what the _H_ in this file means? Would CVSNT have put
it there, or plain old CVS, or something else?

Cheers
Simon Kissane