[cvsnt] Re: Forcing server character set?

Torkild Ulvøy Resheim torkildr at resheim.no
Tue Mar 8 14:20:13 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 15:00, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Torkild Ulvøy Resheim wrote:
> > We're using an "ancient" programming language (Visual DataFlex) which is
> > still in the DOS era so we need to code our files using Cp850 in order to
> > get our national characters (æ/ø/å) correct. Lately we've written our own
> > development tools for this language using Eclipse. Now when we compare
> > files using the visual diff, we get differences wherever these national
> > characters are involved. Since the Eclipse projects are set to use Cp850
> > my idea was to force the CVS server to use the same so that we don't get
> > any differences.
>
> The CVS server in this case isn't causing the differences in the files -
> it doesn't care about codepages unless you tell it (and if you're using
> eclipse this isn't an option as it doesn't support them).
That is not correct. You can set Eclipse up to use any character set you want.
The problem is that the project is set up to use Cp850, when using the visual
diff (which is eclipse) it thinks that the character set coming from the CVS
server is Cp1252.

> It sounds more like a bug in your visual diff program.
>
> Tony

Med vennlig hilsen / Kind regards                                  ((
Torkild Ulvøy Resheim, Senior Systemutvikler / Software Engineer    ))
Emma EDB AS, Trondheim, Norway. http://www.emmaedb.no             |----|_
Private pages: http://resheim.no - "Any sufficiently advanced     |    | )
bug is indistinguishable from a feature."                         |____|'