[cvsnt] Re: how can i publish a directory?

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Mon Mar 14 15:12:09 GMT 2005

Rick wrote:
> when i install a folder as repositorie for example Project1 cvsnt makes a
> new folder called CVSROOT and it include some files, now im making another
> folder at same level like CVSROOT called XXX but in tortoise client when i
> try to connect it says nothing to read, but if i copy the files contained on
> CVSROOT i can access to XXX, why?? is it necessary to copy that files??

I can't quite figure out what you are doing from your description.  The
CVSROOT folder is a special folder which only exists in the repository
itself, and the contents should _never_ be copied.

I'm guessing that you are using TortoiseCVS with a local repository
(i.e. no server process at all).  Even though your repository is local,
you should never touch any files in the repository except through the
normal CVS commands (like import to create a new module).  You should
follow the same procedure whether or not you have a CVS server or not:

1) Create a repository
2) Import a project into the repository
3) Check out the project into a working copy (usually called a sandbox)
4) Edit files in the sandbox and commit, etc. to the repository

Normally, you should treat the repository files themselves as completely
inaccessible except through the CVS software itself.

HTH

John