[cvsnt] :ssh bug in CVSNT - hanging on requests

P Robinson P.Robinson at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Mar 18 09:20:24 GMT 2005

Hello,

I posted the following message to the tortoise CVS mailing list:

<Message>

I am trying to add a large folder hierarchy to CVS. I right click on the
top level directory and click "CVS add contents", I am then presented
with a large list of files that I can add to cvs. I leave them all
ticked and click 'OK'.  I am then presented with a dialogue box
displaying the progress. Typically it will add the contents of a few
directories and then will hang with a list of scheduled files. I've
tried waiting 12hrs+ and it doesn't continue. I then abort and repeat
the adding process. In doing so, I find that tortoise will get past the
original offending files, but will hang later on a different set of
files. It is possible to repeat the process many times until the whole
hierarchy has been added.

TortoiseCVS version: 1.8.13

CVSROOT = :ssh:n9086822 at airyholm:/addon/cvs/users/n9086822

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

</Message>

Here's the response I got:

<Response>

Right, here we have the problem. There is a known bug in CVSNT, which
causes :ssh: to hang with certain servers:

    http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2005-March/017834.html

You might want to add your testimony to increase the likelihood of this
bug being fixed.

As a workaround, use :ext: instead of :ssh:

</Response>

I tried the response and it worked. Are there any plans to fix this bug?

Thanks,

Paul Robinson.