[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT Remote Server Error...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Mar 28 13:35:53 BST 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 04:24:11 -0800 (PST), Anne Uday Chand
<uday.chand at studentplanet.net> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>When I try to connect to a CVSNT server running on a remote XP machine,
>I get the following error. Can anyone let me know the solution please?
>
>Command:
>cvs -d :ntserver;hostname=10.119.5.33:/RPCoERepository init
>
>Error description:
>"cvs [init aborted]: Couldn't connect to named pipe on remote machine: Error 2"
>
>I'm trying to connect to the remote CVSNT server using :ntserver: protocol.
>
>Is there any windows service I need to run on the client and/or server
>machine (other than CVSNT on the server m/c)?
>
>I tried checking in and checking out on the server m/c
>(using :local: and it is working fine)

 :ntserver: has been depreciated for a long time, you should not be
able to connect using that protocol with a newer CVSNT server (as you
have seen).
Change the CVSROOT setting to this instead:
 :sspi:10.119.5.33:/RPCoERepository

Works on the same principles as ntserver, except it use the TCP/IP
transport so it will be routable, which ntserver never was.

Another thing: It is not very clever to use the IP address as the
specifier for teh server machine, especially not in a DHCP
environment. You'd be better off using a server machine *name*
instead.
If you don't have DNC running properly then you can enter the
IP-servername pair into your HOSTS file and then name usage will be
fine. This has the advantage of being able to change the IP address
transparently without modifying checked out sandboxes afterwards.

Also note that the cvs command 'init' cannot at all be used remotely,
because what that does is create a new repository and this cannot be
done from another repository. Since you connect to the different
repositories separately it simply cannot be done. There are no
cross-repositories commands in CVS.

New repositories are created on the CVSNT server machine console
itself, preferably using the CVSNT Control Panel applet.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)