[cvsnt] Re: Common syntax, how to get the log message?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Mar 29 06:27:44 BST 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:56:49 -0500, "John Albrecht"
<albrecht_john at bah.com> wrote:

>Bo,
>
>Thanks for explanation. I'd like to make sure I understand what m is? Does
>the m represent an output file or a file that contains the location of the
>output file? Or a program that writes to an output file?

It is the log message. If the redirection to STDIN is used then no
"standard" data are sent to STDIN anymore so one has to build all of
the wanted info by using the specifiers on the loginfo command line.

>From the cvs helpfile that ships with CVSNT 2.5.01:

The user may specify a format string as part of the filter. The string
is composed of a % followed by a space, or followed by a single format
character, or followed by a set of format characters surrounded by {
and } as separators. The format characters are those in the common
syntax plus:

%m
Message supplied by user

%T
Status string

%p
Directory name relative to the current root

%s
Module name, followed by the list of filenames. When used in a group
this option has a special action which is designed to mimic previous
versions of cvs when the standard %{sVv} is used.

%V
Current version, pre-checkin.

%v
Current version, post-checkin.