[cvsnt] Re: Build 1921 still changes the file branch tags on update!

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Mar 30 15:09:46 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:
> Basically the idea is to put one or two files in a folder that is
> checked out to a branch into a separate branch (private) or on to
> the TRUNK. The reason may be that these files are either used only
> for local configuration or they should not be changed on the branch
> for some other reason. We have language files that are never branched
> for example. They belong on TRUNK.
> So I update them to a different branch or reset the tag.

cvs only really understands one tag at a time, so if there's a directory
tag it basically overrides everything else.  I can have a go at patching
around that but I can't guarantee what side effects it'll have on the
rest of the system.

There are some comments in the code that imply that they considered
disallowing multiple tags in a directory but decided not to... so it's
not a new issue.  It looks like their workaround broke but I've no idea
when.. probably before 2.0.58.