[cvsnt] Re: dummy cvs directories

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed May 4 16:08:59 BST 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005 10:12:20 -0400, "Joe Enfield"
<joeenfield at hotmail.com> wrote:

>I was looking through netbeans site, and noticed the tidbit pasted below...
>
>Would this work with cvsnt?  I gave it a quick try, and it didn't seem to
>work.  but the idea is intruiguing...
>Anyone have any experience with this?
>
>Thank you,
>Joe E.

I just made a quick test:

1. Copied 2 checked out sandboxes from different repositories on the
same server to a TEMP folder. Call them AOS and CMM.

2. Created the CVS subfolder with the files Root, Repository and
Entries

3. Populated these files as described, the Root file got the setting
from the AOS sandbox

4. Opened a command prompt in the TEMP folder and issued cvs update.

5. The result was an update for only the CMM sandbox...

6. Then I changed the Root file to have the contents of the CMM Root

7. Another cvs update now did a complete update of both sandboxes!

8. Then I added another sandbox UTIL to the TEMP folder and edited the
Entries file by adding the UTIL line last

9. CVS update managed to go into the two earlier sandboxes but not the
UTIL one.

10. Then I checked the Entries file and saw a missing final linefeed,
so I adedd it.

11. CVS update now traversed UTIl and AOS but not CMM, instead a
message "there is no version here" was output.

Not simple to make out what all this means except you are not really
supposed edit the metadata by hand, I suppose....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)