[cvsnt] Re: 2.5.01 loginfo problem

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri May 6 00:27:44 BST 2005

Glen Starrett wrote:

> Yikes!  I'm going to have to rework my loginfo strategy now :-( .  The
> docs have always said that -- is this new to 2.5.01.*?  I have mine set
> up to progressively get more general, so the correct group gets the
> correct messages, but if this isn't working in order and stopping at the
> first then it's going to get hairy.

I've aleays expected it to work that way.  It's generally possible to
make regexps that handle things that way, but it's not possible to
suddenly make things match multiple times - ie. to work the way the docs
say at the moment I'd have to remove potentially useful functionality.

Of course with trigger DLLs it's a lot simpler :)  They always fire...

> I have something like this right now:
>
> ^CVSROOT cvsmailer ... to me
> ^project1/module_foo cvsmailer ... to proj1 team + foo developer
> ^project1 cvsmailer ... to proj1 team
>
> Sounds like I should really have something like this then, is this
> correct for the same results??
>
> ^CVSROOT cvsmailer ... to me
> ^project1/module_foo cvsmailer ... to foo developer
> ^project1 cvsmailer ... to proj1 team

Hmm...  That's pretty much a worst case.  It's messy with standard
regexps (you need to to a negative character match for each letter of
the nonmatching string).

I built a version with PCRE, which has negative matches... for that
you can do:

^CVSROOT cvsmailer ... to me
^project1/module_foo cvsmailer ... to foo developer
^project1(?!/module_foo) cvsmailer ... to proj1 team

PCRE is relatively simple to build into the code (since it's all wrapped
in cvsapi) I may well put it in the next build.