[cvsnt] Re: 2.5.01 loginfo problem

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri May 6 16:59:01 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:
>> ^CVSROOT cvsmailer ... to me
>> ^project1/module_foo cvsmailer ... to foo developer
>> ^project1 cvsmailer ... to proj1 team
>

> Hmm...  That's pretty much a worst case.  It's messy with standard
> regexps (you need to to a negative character match for each letter of
> the nonmatching string).

That is my *normal* case, the way I have multiple directories set up.
We have a team of about 8 devs working to different degrees on ~14
modules in one project, so there is currently 4 different lines in
loginfo to cover that.  Again, that's just 1 of our projects.

> I built a version with PCRE, which has negative matches... for that
> you can do:
>
> ^CVSROOT cvsmailer ... to me
> ^project1/module_foo cvsmailer ... to foo developer
> ^project1(?!/module_foo) cvsmailer ... to proj1 team

Actually I was looking for proj1 team to get everything from project1
and below.  foo dev would only get things relating to foo.  The other
example I gave illustrates more problems with that approach, when there
are multiple directories below.

> PCRE is relatively simple to build into the code (since it's all wrapped
> in cvsapi) I may well put it in the next build.

TBH, I would rather see the old behavior enforced on the loginfo
scripts.  I know it's not as flexible, but as you said, the trigger DLL
approach is _very_ flexible.  There's something to be said for
simplicity, IMHO.

Perhaps you could add a directive to the loginfo format that would
instruct it to examine all lines for matches, or by default use the
first match + all approach.  That way, it's ultimately flexible yet
still compatible with the simpler way that it has always worked.

My concerns here are not only because of the change, but the impact it
will have on others as well.  Learning some simple mechanism for regular
expressions is a LOT easier than trying to learn about adding negatives
to it as well, and it is more readable I think.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett