[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt & win2k3 script permissions

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon May 9 20:20:09 BST 2005

On Mon, 9 May 2005 18:04:14 +0100, "Mathew Davies"
<mathew.davies at ipt-ltd.co.uk> wrote:

>We have been running cvsnt successfully on win2k for serval years now
>with scripts like update_websites.pl via postcommit to make a very
>affect team development solutions for our enviroment.
>
>I have just replicated this arangement on windows 2003 as we now need to
>do development more close with iis6. cvsnt installed nicely using the
>latest version,
>viewcvs was took a while to get working anyone who tried to get
>"ViewCvs4CVSNT"
>working and couldn't on iis6 the trick is to change the application pool
>that viewcvs runs under to another user than network services (the
>default)
>I used IWAM_XXX which I couldn't find the answer online hence commenting
>on it here in the hope the next person will have an easier time
>googling.

If you refer to ViewCvs4CVSNT as the installer for ViewCvs I have
published, then I am interested in the specifics of what is not
working off the box and what you did more exactly. I actually ran
quite a number of tests on Windows 2003 when I prepared the installer
and it should configure the security contexts automatically during
installation such that you get a working system.
So please detail exactly what you saw and what you did (possibly in a
private mail to me in order not to spam this list with off-topic
material).

>So I thought I was all setup and was just adding in things like the
>postcommit
>script I discovered these don't seem to work now. This seems to be true
>of all scripts I can call like the old loginfo and cvsnotify scripts.
>
>I have tried temporary setting the permissions on perl, cmd.exe and
>update_websites.pl
>to read & excute. The cvs temp folder and the responsity to have
>everyone full
>control yet when I commit a file that is in a module set to use
>postcommit
>script I just get a script failed message on commit. I have also tried
>changing the cvsnt services from system to a local user with no affect.
>
>Does anyone know what I have to do or what permissions I set on win2k3
>to allow cvsnt to run scripts? Has anyone else installed cvsnt on win2k3
>and used scripts in things like loginfo or postcommit successfully?

The problem here is the way W2003 has locked down alomost everything
on the server...
Specifically your problem comes from the way cmd.exe is locked down.
You can do one of two things:
1) Go to %systemroot%\system32 and check the permissions of cmd.exe.
You will probably discover that it is pretty much locked down. Since
it is used to launch the scripts, you have to loosen up these
permissions.

or
2) You can *copy* %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe to the install folder
for CVSNT. The copy will then not have the permissions as tightly set
and CVSNT will find it first since it is right in the same folder as
cvs.exe itself.

Hope this helps (and please confirm which method you chose and how it
worked here).

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)