[cvsnt] Re: Alert: Binary files are corrupted when you do a cvs remove

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue May 10 23:33:00 BST 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005 12:22:57 -0300, "Arbesto Pelta"
<arbesto_pelta at yahoo.es.remove-it> wrote:

I can confirm this behaviour:

1) I am running 2.5.01.1949 as both server and client
2) I copied in a binary file to an existing sandbox
3) I added it binary and committed, got revision 1.1
4) Then I cvs removed the file and committed
5) Then in another empty folder I checked out revision 1.1
   The metadata still say it's a binary file.

Result is:
Original file size = 398336 bytes
Checked out file size = 398322 bytes
A difference of 14 bytes in an exe file, would be catastrophic....

I had a look with a hex editor inside the original binary file and
looked for 0d0a sequencies, I found 7 of them in different places in
the file.
In the checked out file I found none!

Something else must also have happened to the file because removing 7
0d:s will reduce the size by 7 bytes not 14 as I have proof of.
I also chceked for 0a0d sequences, I found 2 in the original and none
in the checked out file, so here we have yet 2 more 0d bytes that have
disappeared.

It looks like a serious bug in the released version, could not be
trusted to manage binary files. :-(

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)