[cvsnt] Re: Build 1966 does not preserve sticky tag on update...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat May 14 07:34:50 BST 2005

On Sat, 14 May 2005 01:20:30 +0100, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> So the real culprit here is that sticky tagging on revisions are no
>> longer possible. That is not what I tested back in February, at that
>> time label tags also were reset on updates, but Tony fixed that and I
>> did not test with pure revision sticky tags...
>
>It's possible that's not worked recently then... I can't recall using a
>revision sticky tag in a very long time (not a lot of use for them in
>general).
>
>It's unrelated to anything that's changed since the last build, since I
>haven't changed anything related to sticky tags.

I made a few tests more:
With a server running 2.0.41a and the client as 2.5.01.1966 the sticky
revision still is not sticky, only sticky symbolic tags are sticky.

Then I changed the client to 2.0.51d and now the sticky revision stays
sticky too.

So this seems to be related to the *client side* cvs not refreshing
the metadata properly. But I have stared at the Entries file in both
situations and I see no difference (except the timestamp), yet in one
case cvs status reports Need-Patch, and in the other Up-To-Date.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)