[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT and Subversion comparison

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon May 16 14:16:37 BST 2005

Glen Starrett wrote:

> Agreed, there will likely be no release of complex software that is
> totally bug free.  Maybe what is needed is something in between a full
> bug reporting database and what exists today.  Call it a knowledge base,
> and include bugs and workarounds as they are found for releases.

A bit like the todo list in sourceforge - I could go for that.

Not sure how to implement it though.

> Maybe this is just reactionary from the recent struggle to have a stable
> version with all features I use stable in it that includes the new
> permissions framework.  The progression from .58 series to today seems
> bumpier than it has been in the past.

The latest version did update a lot of things... that won't be the case
all the time (for example the only real difference in 2.5.02 at the
moment is the SQL backend for rename - OK that's a *big* difference, but
it's still only one).

> I would also like to see improving on the test scripts -- I know you
> don't want to turn maintaining that into a full time job, but in the
> name of stability I think it would help considerably, or at least
> prevent things from returning.

They could certainly do with improvement, but it's mostly a question of
time.  There are other tests I do based on the repository I have here..
which has lots of test files sent to me, but they're not really formalised.